Valentine's Day

By Lenson Sim On Thursday, February 14, 2008 At 7:38 PM

So I haven't been posting for, uh, 10 days. I didn't realise that until I went to blogger and saw that my last post was at 4th of February. It was way before Chinese New Year.

We had a short Physics test about electrostatics and then practical after the test. It was about electric circuits. We were only given one battery, but Minghui went to take about 6 batteries? We connected all the batteries and connected it to two bulbs at first knowing that the current was too much for the bulbs to handle but it managed to light up so super brightly.

Then we tried it with one bulb and *boom* it went dead. =X

The next day was CNY celebration in the hall. School also ended early on that day. We did some 'spring cleaning' in our class for about an hour before going to the hall for the concert. It was special for me and some other students. We were photographers for the event. Overall concert was pretty good. It started off with the Lion Dance performance. They could spit vegetables, oranges and water! Because I was standing in front of them for photos, I was lucky not to get hit by the vegetables but got sprayed at by the water which the person actually spat out from his mouth.

DSC_9451

DSC_9440 DSC_9447

There was Yu Sheng as well, but only for the staff, namely the teachers, non-teaching staff and the guests. After tossing the vegetable dish till it's all messed up around the table there were like so many leftovers. I didn't know what was done to them but I hope it doesn't go wasted. The concert ended with the whole school singing some festive songs. Went home at around 10.30. See how appetizing the Yu Sheng is?

DSC_9512

The next few days that followed was the collection of ang baos. Home visiting, greeting people with oranges and mini-gambling was the norm. Nothing much to say about CNY because it's pretty much routine. Except for some playing times when money was involved. First day was to my grandma's place. 2nd day onwards people came over to my place especially on Saturday when my house was packed with about 40 people. Played computer games, watched movies etc. Sunday, my dad's former students came over to visit him, and they are the last guest who left at about 10pm.

Back to school on Monday. Had to switch back to the study mood. More tests are coming up and the mid year exam for secondary four students will be pushed up to somewhere at the first few weeks of term two. Surprised history for us today. Mr Maran was on three weeks medical leave and another teacher relieved for the whole three weeks and didn't even inform us that there was a test. Worst of all, he didn't even teach us the topic that was tested! We were at a loss so he gave us an open book test which I think we should pass.

Our English teacher told us something that I remembered clearly. Some Chinese names makes a sensible English word when read by the Caucasians. For example like, Shi Ting, which can will be read as Shiting. That's cool.

Valentine's Day performance at the space! Jude, Minghui, Chee Hock and myself performed two pieces, Boston and A Whole New World. I played the piano and Chee Hock sang while Jude and Minghui played the guitar. It didn't went perfectly smooth for both songs because the time we were given to practice was far too short for a 9 pages song for Boston and 8 pages for A Whole New World. The first half of both songs were smooth until the second half when I was almost sight reading. Imagine preparing a song 8 pages long a day before the performance and the time is so tight with ccas, homework and other things. So I only managed to squeeze in two hours of my time for the second song with no combined practices before the actual concert. =\ It was also my first time performing on a keyboard, which I always performed with an acoustic piano. The feeling was a totally different thing. The keys were so soft that one small touch and the sound comes out. On top of it, Chee Hock couldn't sing. He wasn't fit to be a singer I guess. -.- I just hope that it was nice for the audiences and ample time must be given if we were to perform again.

DSC_9570

DSC_9564 DSC_9566

DSC_9588

for this post

Leave a Reply